Paris– Cannes Film Festival’ Critics Week, the parallel section dedicated to first and second films, will open this year with “Sicilian Ghost Story” from Fabio Grassadonia and Antonio Piazza, the Italian director duo whose debut “Salvo” had won the Grand Prize in 2013.
Speaking to Variety, Critics’ Week’s topper Charles Tesson described the film as a ‘Romeo and Juliet’ tale set against the contemporary backdrop of the Sicilian mafia world. The film, which is also politically-engaged, weaves teen drama, crime thriller and supernatural elements, Tesson said.
“Sicilian Ghost Story” follows a young girl who refuses to cope with the disappearance of her lover and strives, guided by her visions, to break the prevailing omerta.
Echoing Cannes’ official selection, the lineup of this 56th edition of Critics Week will have a definite political edge.
One of the most politically-charged works to compete at Critics Week is an animated feature, Ali Soozandeh »
- Elsa Keslassy
Similar News ItemsStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
- Fate of the Furious Wins Second Lap at the Box Office with $38.6M (From MovieWeb. 23 April 2017, 12:21 PM, PDT)
- Great Job, Internet!: Tiny Jyn Erso gives Death Star plans to every Princess Leia she can find (From The AV Club. 23 April 2017, 12:14 PM, PDT)
- 'Avatar' sequel dates unveiled (From ScreenDaily. 23 April 2017, 11:58 AM, PDT)
Mark Hamill (I)
- Oscar Isaac talks Star Wars: The Last Jedi and filming with Carrie Fisher (From Flickeringmyth. 22 April 2017, 3:36 PM, PDT)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Kingsman: The Golden Circle, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 make our weekly roundup! (From Cineplex. 21 April 2017, 12:52 PM, PDT)
- Warner Bros. to release Static Shock: The Complete Second Season in May (From Flickeringmyth. 21 April 2017, 10:10 AM, PDT)
Josh Hartnett (I)
- Cannes: Critics' Week unveils 2017 selection (From ScreenDaily. 21 April 2017, 4:36 AM, PDT)
- Armenian Genocide Movie ‘The Promise’ Screens at Vatican With Director Terry George and Talent (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 4 April 2017, 12:53 PM, PDT)
- The Ottoman Lieutenant movie review: erasing the past with sleight of cinematic hand (From FlickFilosopher. 10 March 2017, 10:34 AM, PST)