Paris– Cannes Film Festival’ Critics Week, the parallel section dedicated to first and second films, will open this year with “Sicilian Ghost Story” from Fabio Grassadonia and Antonio Piazza, the Italian director duo whose debut “Salvo” had won the Grand Prize in 2013.
Speaking to Variety, Critics’ Week’s topper Charles Tesson described the film as a ‘Romeo and Juliet’ tale set against the contemporary backdrop of the Sicilian mafia world. The film, which is also politically-engaged, weaves teen drama, crime thriller and supernatural elements, Tesson said.
“Sicilian Ghost Story” follows a young girl who refuses to cope with the disappearance of her lover and strives, guided by her visions, to break the prevailing omerta.
Echoing Cannes’ official selection, the lineup of this 56th edition of Critics Week will have a definite political edge.
One of the most politically-charged works to compete at Critics Week is an animated feature, Ali Soozandeh »
- Elsa Keslassy
Similar News ItemsStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
- Results of Darth Vader's Maury Paternity Test Have Been Revealed (From MovieWeb. 27 May 2017, 12:54 PM, PDT)
- Proof Rey Is Reincarnated in The Last Jedi? (From MovieWeb. 27 May 2017, 11:47 AM, PDT)
- Star Wars 8 Lego Sets Reveal Snoke's New Look, Evil Bb-8 and More (From MovieWeb. 27 May 2017, 10:01 AM, PDT)
Mark Hamill (I)
- Epic Luke Skywalker Tribute Video Celebrates The Last Jedi (From MovieWeb. 27 May 2017, 1:55 PM, PDT)
- Leaked images and details of Lego’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi sets reveal Snoke’s new costume (From Flickeringmyth. 27 May 2017, 1:01 PM, PDT)
- Adam Driver Was A Bit Of A Grouch On The Set Of Star Wars: The Last Jedi (From We Got This Covered. 26 May 2017, 2:37 PM, PDT)
Josh Hartnett (I)
- Cannes Film Review: ‘Oh Lucy!’ (From Variety - Film News. 22 May 2017, 10:26 AM, PDT)
- Oh Lucy! review – Japanese tale of office worker in love with her teacher is a little wonky (From The Guardian - Film News. 22 May 2017, 4:30 AM, PDT)
- Highland boards 'Jackals' with Stephen Dorff, Kara Unger (From ScreenDaily. 20 May 2017, 11:00 PM, PDT)